Anna and Peter Ryan both trained in and taught English in secondary schools for many years. In 1994 they discovered that there was life outside the classroom when they successfully tendered for a Ministry of Education contract to deliver professional development on the new curriculum document English in the New Zealand Curriculum, to teachers in the greater Wellington area. They formed Ryan Partnership in order to provide this service. At the end of the contract Peter went back teaching and is now HOD English at Kapiti College. After a stint of long term relieving, Anna decided there was a need for a text that covered a lot of the basics that students could do at home, as well as a resource for relievers such as herself, and so the To Go series was born. The work Ryan Partnership had done with the new curriculum was a great foundation for Anna to base the initial English books on. Ryan Partnership evolved to become a fully-fledged company in 2001, renamed Ryan Publications Limited.
The first book was produced with Kapiti College, Peter’s school, in mind and the then HOD was rapt with it. Anna thought to herself that if one could be so pleased with it then other schools could well be interested in it too. And the rest is history…
Ethos / Values
Reduce teacher workload
• by providing workbooks of superior quality, ready for immediate use without modification
• by providing workbooks closely linked to English in the New Zealand Curriculum
Within reach of all
• provide resources that are within the reach of every New Zealand student
• as teachers we are very aware that education does not provide for a ‘level playing field’. Schools who draw their students from higher socio-economic areas can provide a much greater range of resources for their students than can those lower decile schools. We therefore provide the workbooks at a cheaper price to lower decile schools as we hope to make it possible for these students to have access to the same extent as students in high decile schools.
• we also provide some free workbooks to schools and institutions providing for students whose education is jeopardised due to pregnancy or from difficulties fitting into the education system.
To provide workbooks that are:
• interesting and fun
• able to be used at home
• good preparation for senior school qualifications